Thursday 24 May 2012

Can Catholics have tattoos and body piercings?


Good grief, what next? If someone starts a rumour that we can't wear make-up, colour our hair or wear jewellery, we're really in trouble!

Catholics can have body piercings or tattoos just the same as everybody else. Of course, they should take care to go to a reputable establishment to have the procedure done, to avoid infection and nasty diseases which can be spread through infected needles, but that advice applies to everyone.

In some European countries, where the populations are predominantly Catholic, parents have baby girls' ears pierced shortly after birth. At one time, I thought it was strange to see my Italian friend's beautiful baby daughter already sporting tiny diamond earrings. Then the mother explained that it was part of their culture and it spared the child the discomfort of having it done when she was older.

The misinformation about piercing and tattoos may arise from the fact that Catholics believe that the fifth Commandment, "Thou shalt not kill" has extended implications. Of course it is wrong to kill another person. It is also wrong to kill ourselves. We need to respect our bodies and take care of them. We should eat properly, get sufficient exercise and a reasonable amount of sleep. If we become ill, we should go to the doctor.

It might be argued that smoking, drug addiction, alcoholism are wrong because they do permanent damage to the body. Alcoholism damages the liver, and too much alcohol destroys brain tissue.

I haven't smoked in twenty-five years, yet when I went for a lung-capacity test several months ago the technician was able to spot damage that was caused by the years of smoking in earlier times. That damage is permanent.

I regret smoking now but when I started in the 1950s, we didn't know how harmful it was, and it became an addiction very quickly. I suspect alcohol does also, especially for people who have a gene which predisposes them to that addiction.

Perhaps people who suffer from addictions shouldn't be judged as harshly as those are aware of the risks and participate in the questionable behaviour anyway. Addictions are very difficult to overcome. I've been struggling with an overeating problem all my life, and I expect to have it until my take my last breath.

Although I have my ears pierced, I am presently a grandmother, and am no longer tempted to get additional piercing or tattoos. I admit that I don't like to see beautiful young people with things that look like nails in their faces, but I understand the holes heal over when the nails are removed, so no permanent damage is done.

Tattoos are more permanent, but they can be removed with a laser, I think. It's probably very painful, but it would be embarrassing trying to explain some youthful motto such as " I'm a screamin' demon!" when you're my age. I'm glad I never indulged in that particular activity.

Catholics are just like everybody else, imperfect people trying to do their best to please their Creator in the midst of an imperfect society, in an imperfect world . When you think about it, there are a lot worse things we could be doing than getting tattoos and piercings.

Now, it you'll excuse me, I'll put on some make-up, change my earrings (these don't match my outfit) and go to the store to get some hair colouring. I don't want all this grey showing when I go to Mass on Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment